The School Board met on Monday, March 11, 2013 for their regular monthly meeting.
Mr. Jim Nelson, School Board Vice-Chairman, recognized four MCHS students (Jason Farry, Lauren Finks, Ryan Powers and Daniel Shifflett) who participated in the Virginia Military Institute (VMI) Leadership Conference on "Building and Strengthening Honor Codes: Inspiring Honor and Respect."
Presented to the Board as Information:
- Changes to "GCBD-R: Staff Leaves and Absences - Regulations." Additional changes are needed and will take it back to the Board in April as information.
- Additional new course offerings for MCHS students for 2013-14: AP Chemistry, Dual Enrollment Pre-Calculus, Emergency Medical Technician I, Leadership I and Sports Medicine
The following items were approved by the Board:
- Approved enVision Math textbook for Grades K-5.
- Approved the bleacher contract with Dant Clayton contingent upon appropriate consent by the Board of Supervisors and available funds and to authorize the Chairman of the Madison County School Board to sign the contract with Dant Clayton.
- Approved a Resolution against Individual School Performance. This resolution opposes letter grades assigned to Virginia Schools (HB 1999 & SB 1207) and the Opportunity Educational Institution bills (HB 2096 & SB 1324) which permit State takeover of local schools that fail to meet State requirements.
- Approved one substitute appointment, four resignations and one retirement.
- Approved a change in the April School Board meeting date from April 8, 2013 to April 15, 2013 due to Spring Break.
The Board when into closed session to discuss personnel matters.
The next School Board meeting will be Monday, April 15, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. The annual reception for the Student Art Show will also take place on Monday, April 15, 2013 at 6:30 p.m., at the School Board office.