The School Board met on Monday, April 15, 2013 for their regular monthly meeting.
The following student artists for their contributions to the School Board Art Gallery for 2013:
MPS: Anica Settle, 1st Grade
MCHS Forensics team which won its 15th state championship in Forensics. Placing for Madison were:
- Tristan James & Tyler Kemp, state champions in Serious Duo
- Sierra Weaver, state champion in Extemporaneous Speaking
- Nick Jett, state champion in Poetry Interpretation
- Jordan Gray, state champion in Prose Interpretation
- Jackie Dews, 2nd place in Prose Interpretation
- Summer Davis, 2nd place in Oratory
- Jacob Corbin & Wyatt Taylor, 5th place in Humorous Duo
- Greg Essner & Bryanna Smith, 5th place in Serious Duo
- Jordan Taylor, 6th place in Dramatic Interpretation
Members of the Swim Team, to include Kara Morgan McHaney who was the Region B Champion in the 500 freestyle and set a new region record.
J.P. Utz for being the State Runner-Up in Wrestling.
Presented to the Board as Information:
- Science textbooks for grades 3-12 are up for adoption & available for review until May 13, 2013.
- The Special Education Plan for 2013-2014.
- A request from Madison Parks and Recreation Authority, who would like permission from the School Board to hook up to the RSA water supply at MPS.
The following items were approved by the Board:
- New course offerings for MCHS students to include: AP Chemistry, Dual Enrollment Pre-Calculus, Emergency Medical Technician I, Leadership I and Sports Medicine.
- Approved a second make-up day to be added on to the end of the school calendar, due to inclement weather.
- Awarded the MPS roof bid to Roofing Solutions, Inc., of Chatham, Virginia.
- Adjusted the School Board meeting schedule to include an additional meeting on Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 8:15 a.m., in order to award the bid for the William Wetsel Middle School Capital Improvement Project.
- Continued the cost-savings agreement with Rappahannock County School Board for the 2013-2014 school year.
- Rejected the 4% increase from Coventry Health Care and will begin moving forward with The Local Choice.
- Approved the Perkins Plan for Career and Technical Education for 2013-2014.
- Approved three substitute appointments, one resignation, and two retirements. Also approved the licensed reappointment list for 2013-2014.
The Board went into closed session to review a request for release from compulsory attendance, specifically for religious exemption.
The next School Board meeting will be Monday, May 13, 2013, at 7:00 p.m, in the Madison County High School auditorium. The "Teaching, Learning, Caring" and Teacher-of-the-Year awards will be presented.