The School Board Work Session originally scheduled for Wednesday, March 27, 2013 has been rescheduled for Wednesday, March 20, 2013 at 6:00 p.m.
Today, March 14 (3-14) is Pi (3.14) Day and also Albert Einstein’s Birthday. Activities across our schools today involve fun activities such as dressing up like Einstein, throwing pies, eating pie, reciting as many places in Pi as possible, pizza pie contests, wearing Pi shirts, etc.
Extraordinarily, Fifth grader, Kaitlyn Snuffer, memorized and recited Pi out to 257 places this morning.
I think it’s important to celebrate Pi Day because this is one more attempt by our professional educators to model for students the importance of science, technology, engineering, and math. - Superintendent Eberhardt
This is Madison’s third year of math celebration on March 14.
Interesting fact: If you hold a mirror to a circle, it looks like a circle. If you hold a mirror up to Pi (3.14) , it spells PIE!
The School Board met on Monday, March 11, 2013 for their regular monthly meeting.
Mr. Jim Nelson, School Board Vice-Chairman, recognized four MCHS students (Jason Farry, Lauren Finks, Ryan Powers and Daniel Shifflett) who participated in the Virginia Military Institute (VMI) Leadership Conference on "Building and Strengthening Honor Codes: Inspiring Honor and Respect."
Presented to the Board as Information:
- Changes to "GCBD-R: Staff Leaves and Absences - Regulations." Additional changes are needed and will take it back to the Board in April as information.
- Additional new course offerings for MCHS students for 2013-14: AP Chemistry, Dual Enrollment Pre-Calculus, Emergency Medical Technician I, Leadership I and Sports Medicine
The following items were approved by the Board:
- Approved enVision Math textbook for Grades K-5.
- Approved the bleacher contract with Dant Clayton contingent upon appropriate consent by the Board of Supervisors and available funds and to authorize the Chairman of the Madison County School Board to sign the contract with Dant Clayton.
- Approved a Resolution against Individual School Performance. This resolution opposes letter grades assigned to Virginia Schools (HB 1999 & SB 1207) and the Opportunity Educational Institution bills (HB 2096 & SB 1324) which permit State takeover of local schools that fail to meet State requirements.
- Approved one substitute appointment, four resignations and one retirement.
- Approved a change in the April School Board meeting date from April 8, 2013 to April 15, 2013 due to Spring Break.
The Board when into closed session to discuss personnel matters.
The next School Board meeting will be Monday, April 15, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. The annual reception for the Student Art Show will also take place on Monday, April 15, 2013 at 6:30 p.m., at the School Board office.
Madison County Forensics won the Virginia Catholic Forensic League (VCFL) State Championships on Saturday qualifying a record number of students to the national tournament in Philadelphia this May.
- Jordan Taylor, first place in Dramatic Performance
- Jordan Gray, first place in Oral Interpretation
Completing the Virginia National Competition Team from Madison are:
- Shannon Blow, second place in Dramatic Performance
- Owen Hartwig, sixth place alternate in Dramatic Performance
- Jackie Dews, second place in Oral Interpretation
- Renee Smith, fourth place in Oral Interpretation
- Nick Jett, fifth place in Oral Interpretation
- Sierra Weaver, sixth place in Extemporaneous Speaking alternate
- Jenneca Graber Grace and Summer Davis, first place in Duo
- Tristan James and Tyler Kemp, second place in Duo
- Ian Coppage and Camryn Powers, third in Duo
- Greg Essner and Bryanna Smith, fifth in Duo
Madison won the championship with 46 points over second place Bishop Sullivan Virginia Beach with 15 points and Maggie Walker Governors School in third with 10 points. Madison also won the year-long cumulative Sweepstakes for the Most Outstanding League Program.
Madison's next tournament is Region B debate followed by VHSL State forensics Championships at Harrisonburg High School on March 23.
Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten registration will take place on Thursday, March 14th, 2013 at Madison Primary School between the hours of 9am and 11am and again between 5 and 7pm.
For more information, including who is eligible and what is needed to register your child, please check out the flyer or call us at 948-3780.