The School Board met on Monday, December 10, 2013 for its regular monthly meeting.
The School Board recognized MCHS Senior Patrick Corbin, who won the National Constitution Day Poster Contest, beating out over 30,000 national and international students.
Presented to the Board as Information: Dr. Eberhardt provided an update on the Long-Range Plan. He advised that we are in the third year of the plan, which is being updated for 2014. A fifth category will be added for facilities to begin the process of identifying minor projects that are needed but not big enough in size/cost to be included in the CIP. Committees are meeting from the five different categories and suggestions for change will be presented at the January 13th Board meeting.
Items Approved by the Board:
- Approved changes to the following policies: CMA: School Division Annual Report Card; GBL: Personnel Records, GBM: Professional Staff Grievances: GCA: Local Licenses for Teachers, GCBE: Family and Medical Leave, IKFA: Locally Awarded Verified Credits, JFC-R: Standards of Student Conduct.
- Approved a request to ask the Board of Supervisors for a supplemental appropriation for $125,000 for the 2013-14 School Security Equipment Grant Program. This grant was awarded to Madison County in the amount of $100,000, with a requirement of a local match of twenty-five percent or $25,000. The funds will be used to install fiber cable from the SBO to WYES to connect all schools. Additional cameras will also be installed where needed and a monitor at the 911 Center in the Madison Sheriff's Office to enable viewing in case of an emergency.
- Approved a change in the public hearing date due to a conflict with the Board's Legislative Conference. Originally scheduled for January 27th, it has been moved to Monday, February 3, 2014 at 7:00 p.m., in the MCHS auditorium.
- Approved a CIP Resolution that recommends that the lowest responsive bidder be accepted for the complete High and Middle School project. This requires an increase in CIP funding by $2,487,980. The Board also approved the modified CIP to cover the base bid and the five alternates.
- Approved personnel to include two long-term guidance substitutes, two substitute appointments, one termination, six coaching stipends for varsity softball, and boys and girls varsity soccer along with the PCA Plans for softball and soccer.
The next School Board meeting will be Monday, January 13, 2014 at 7:00 p.m.