The School Board met on Monday, March 10, 2014, for its regular monthly meeting.
Dr. Eberhardt provided an update on the high school principal search. He reported that 238 survey responses were received from staff, students, parents, and community members. The top 10 leadership traits and six personal characteristics from the survey will be included in the interview rubric. He also reported that almost 50 individuals inquired about the position with 20 completing the application process. Of the 20, six individuals have been scheduled for an interview. An interview committee comprised of Mr. McLearen, four administrators from the School Board office, six teachers, and two parents will meet the six rating each applicant using the interview rubric. The top scores from the rubric will be reviewed by Mr. McLearen and the top finalists will be selected. Dr. Eberhardt, Mr. McLearen, and two teachers from the high school will then re-interview the top finalists and make a recommendation. The goal is to have a recommendation to the School Board for its April 14 meeting.
The Board recognized the following student athletes:
Swimming - State Competition
- Kara Morgan McHaney - State Champion in 100 Fly, State Runner-up in 100 Free
- Rosemarie Mullen - 8th place in 50 Free
- 200 Free Relay - 3rd Place - Rosemarie Mullen, Christine Mullen, Jeana Grace Kelliher & Kara Morgan McHaney
Wrestling - State Competition
- Jacob Welch - 3rd place at 132 lb.
- Derek Rakes - 3rd place at 195 lb.
Presented to the Board as Information:
- Draft 2014-2015 School Calendar. Items that cannot be changed in order to renovate the high school include: September 2 start date, the last day of school as June 5, and 182 teaching days. Changes from the previous draft include: The Wednesday before Thanksgiving was converted from a full day to a half day. Removed the January holiday and moved it to the spring break weekend. Graduation is June 6. The calendar will be brought back to the Board in April and will possibly include a request to lengthen the school day for 2014-15 by 5 minutes. A 5-minute addition to the daily schedule would add the equivalent of nearly three extra school days to be used to offset any instructional time missed next year.
- Policy Updates. The Virginia School Board Association has updated 52 board policies. A list was provided to the Board. The actual policies will be presented to the Board in April for information.
Items Approved by the Board:
- 2013-2014 Calendar Revision - Make-up Days. March 21 (professional day) and April 18 (Good Friday) were converted to school days.
- Overnight Trip Requests - Approval for Mrs. Lindsey and student to travel to the 2014 Skills USA Virginia Conference and Skills Championship in Roanoke, VA on April 4-6, 2015 and approval for Mr. Nobblitt to travel with 4 students to the FFA Stockman's Livestock Judging Contest in Blacksburg, VA on March 21 & 22, 2014.
- Personnel to include 3 substitute appointments, 2 resignations, 2 retirements, and 2 volunteer assistant coaching positions for softball.
The Board agreed that Dr. Eberhardt should correspond with Delegate Ed Scott regarding his important work in the General Assembly with regard to state financing of public education.
The next School Board meeting will be Monday, April 14, 2014 at 7:30pm at the School Board Office.